March 25, 2010

The Art Of The Deal.

One in a series of essays about how to successfully negotiate anything. Or not.

I walked into the only pawn shop in my town and went to the back where they have their musical instruments (four no-name brand Strat copies, a violin, two basses and a 40-watt guitar amplifier).

"Can you do anything about the price of this bass?" I asked one of the staff, opening the door to negotiation.

But she had been raised in a house where her dad yelled at her to shut the door.

"No, the owner isn't here and we can't change prices," she said, unapologetically. "You could ask him" - she pointed to someone behind the counter - "but he'll probably tell you the same thing."

I did, and he did.

"This has been here quite a while," I observed. The little yellow sticker on it showed that it arrived eight months earlier. "And it's kind of beat up," I said. A previous owner had plastered stickers all over it, there were a couple of dings in the paint and it was missing a control knob.

"Yeah," said the man behind the counter. "But it's an Ibanez."

I put the bass back on its stand. I'd have felt guilty paying the price they wanted and depriving the pawn shop of the cachet of having an Ibanez in stock.

No comments: