November 2, 2009

The fine art of the sales pitch.

In today's mail, a come-on from Vonage: "As a valued former Vonage customer, we have a special limited-time offer just for you: Come Back to Vonage and get" - and then, in big orange letters that got even bigger and oranger as the sentence concluded - offered me exactly the same price as I had been paying before I cancelled the service. Or, to put it another way, twice as much as the rate they offered me two months ago when I called them to cancel.

It's a bold strategy - if at first the customer doesn't go for the lower price, try raising it back to the original price - convince them that not only were they wrong to stop buying it then, their refusal was an insult. An insult! Hell, why not double the price and teach those impertinent peons a lesson?

I'm holding out until Vonage asks for $200 a month, a kidney and the right to crush my testicles on demand. You know, just like my cell phone company.

No comments: